The transformative Port of New London State Pier project in Connecticut is creating an offshore wind industry hub now and will position the facility to serve a broad range of industries and cargo for years to come. Check out this new video from joint venture partners Ørsted and Eversource featuring local leaders and business owners discussing how the project is driving local economic and community development, now and in the future.
Once transformed into a state-of-the-art, heavy-lift terminal, State Pier will be a world-class resource for Connecticut for decades to come and will reestablish New London as a hub for global commerce. The long-underutilized facility will have the ability to serve a broader range of cargo, vessels, and industries, including offshore wind. State Pier will help put the Port of New London back on the map as the epicenter of Connecticut's maritime economy.
Key benefits and facts
- State Pier will play a vital role in the fight against climate change, supporting the construction of Ørsted and Eversource's South Fork Wind (starting in 2023), Revolution Wind, and Sunrise Wind.
- Revolution Wind is Connecticut's first offshore wind farm. It will deliver 304 megawatts to the state and 400 megawatts to Rhode Island – enough clean energy to power more than 350,000 homes across both states.
- All three Ørsted/Eversource projects will be staged and assembled at State Pier. Collectively these projects will provide enough clean energy to power more than one million homes in the Northeast.
- State Pier will become a regional hub for the offshore wind industry, serving as an anchor to attract other aspects of the offshore wind industry supply chain to the region and the state.
- The redevelopment of State Pier is already creating jobs, including for Connecticut's building trades: 400+ well-paying construction jobs are anticipated by the project's completion in 2023.
- As a staging and assembly hub for Ørsted/Eversource projects, vessel activity will significantly increase at State Pier and generate high-skilled, long-term employment in New London: 80-120 well--paying offshore wind-related positions are anticipated to be created at the site.
- It is estimated that the State Pier project will add millions of dollars in value to the New London economy, with workers and visitors frequenting local establishments to eat and shop.
- The revamped terminal will be ready to take delivery of offshore wind turbine components by Q1 2023, with all terminal improvements fully completed by April 2023.